Monday, September 27, 2004

Media Executive "Gets It"

Post From Bill Stanley: A Letter of Appreciation By A Media Executive

Dear Mr. Lamb and Dr. Williams

I want to thank you for the efforts of you and your friends who have been circulating the memo's on John Kerry's Vietnam service record. I have never seen such a sustained and effective effort mounted against such daunting odds. I think you have no idea how unwelcome this story was in so many newsrooms across America.

While I give great credit to the "bloggers" and a site like "Drudgereport" for keeping the story alive I think it has been the individual efforts of you, your friends, and other Vietnam vets that have moved the debate..

I hope you all have read Colbert King's Washington Post op-ed piece of a week ago. King was not swayed by the Swiftboat ads. He was swayed by the honest and deep held beliefs of so many Vietnam vets about the actions of Senator Kerry during the war. Colbert King is a gifted writer and I have found in many ways, a very honest man. That he now see's the "light" on Senator Kerry for Vietnam is a powerful statement of the individual efforts of so many of your associates.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48884-2004Sep24.html


As for your frustration with major media. You come from a world of "no man left behind". Most journalists come from the school, another person another story. While one might excuse this in a war weary correspondent, it is more likely found among six-figure earning media elites who reside in major cities (people like me). It is precisely for this reason that they didn't get your story. Yes, there is a leftist bias in media, but instead of conspiracy look for incompetence and arrogance.

Think of it this way, in 1970 I will bet you at least 60%-70 of the reporters covering a presidential race were veterans. Today I would wager it it is less than 5%. How could we ever expect them to get upset about a world they know so little about. And for them to admit they don't get it is a leap of admission I assure you will never happen.

I don't know what will happen on election day, but if anything has turned this race it has been a return of some old vets. I have never seen anything like it.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.


Rgds

Mark Simon, Group Advertising Director
Apple Daily Newspapers,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home